I’m not accepting new students, except under extremely special circumstances. You are welcome to contact me.
How To Teach Your Child Chess. The most fun, fast, effective way to introduce young folks to the game. No chess knowledge required. Instead of paying me or someone else $50-150+ for an hour, you can read this book in less time, and then have months or even years of quality interactions with your kid! ($18.95 + s/h, order here)
- Intro - How To Teach Chess To Your Child
- Bishops + Rooks
- Knight Battleship
- Pawn Wars
- Basic Checkmates
- Full Game and Variations
- Lichess.org: the best chess website for playing online. Also has great learning resources.
- Chesstempo.com: the best tactics puzzle trainer. Great page on motifs.
- The Opera Game: excellent YouTube video by John Bartholomew walking through Morphy’s classic. One of the first things I will show kids who have successfully completed the minigame circuit.
- Zurich 1953: the best collection of grandmaster games for intermediate players (1200-1800) to play through, absorb, and make the leap to expert. After I spent a few months immersed in this book, I had a breakout performance.
- Acorn Chess: software platform for learning chess with minigames and endgames.
- ChessKid.com: minor-friendly website for playing and learning online.
- Capablanca’s Best Chess Endings, Life and Games of Mikhail Tal, and Fischer’s 60 Memorable Games.